Honestly, I thought I'd have to save this cold-weather recipe for next autumn... but here we are, May 25th, and it's a little Arctic in New York!
What a fabulous opportunity to share these little pockets of warmth. The sprouts were a great find towards the end of the winter season at the farmers' market, and when considering what to coat them in, I needed only to turn to the ENORMOUS batch of cashew cheese we'd whipped up when planning a wine-and-hors d'oeuvres night with some friends last month.
Cashew cheese on its own is super simple to make:
- 1 cup of cashews, soaked overnight and drained
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp sea salt
[Combine everything in the blender and you have a cream-cheese-like spread that makes just about everything delicious, not to mention it provides a boost of B vitamins (important to supplement when you're eating mostly plants).]
A tip about Brussels sprouts: to limit the treasure hunt of finding little creatures (insects, mainly) hiding in sprouts, soak them for about an hour in a bowl of water with a splash of lemon juice. Drain. Peel off the outer leaves. This will ensure your veggies are thoroughly, erm, cleaned out and that no little surprise guests will show up on your plate. :)
Try roasting up a batch of these to accompany just about any warm dinner: toss with gluten-free pasta or quinoa, pair with a baked tempeh or tofu, or serve instead of bread alongside a bowl of soup.
Enjoy! And try to stay warm. I'm confident flip-flop weather is coming soon...
- 2 cups brussels sprouts, halved with stems removed
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp cashew cheese
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1. Preheat oven to 425F.
- 2. In a small saucepan, heat olive oil, cashew cheese, and balsamic. Stir to combine.
- 3. Remove from heat and stir in garlic powder.
- 4. Pour mixture over Brussels sprouts and toss to coat.
- 5. Spread sprouts on foil-lined baking sheet, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and bake at 425F for 30 minutes or until coating is crisps.
- 6. Enjoy!
- Prep your Brussels sprouts by soaking in water + lemon juice for 10 minutes before cooking.
- Check out the recipe for cashew cheese here: http://us6.campaign-archive1.com/?u=bebef96f96ed8871304753175&id=d5d80a94cb