This is pure rocket fuel.
Pre-workout, post-workout, or just to fuel your busy day, this smoothie is a quick, portable breakfast, packed with all kinds of great-for-the-body goodness:
- healthy saturated fat from coconut oil and avocado - these help promote fullness and provide the brain with some serious concentrated fuel
- coconut oil is also a natural anti-inflammatory, and great for nerve health
- fiber from flax meal and chia seeds (great for digestion: as it moves through the system, fiber picks up and carries out toxins and excess cholesterol)
- a great source of omega-3 fatty acids from the chia
- plant protein from hemp seeds and almond milk
- a kick of anti-oxidants from raw cacao nibs and cinnamon
- protein, omega-3s, and a cocktail of vitamins and minerals from spirulina (including vitamin A, C, D, E, and B1, B3, B6, and B9) and powerful phytochemicals (which gives it that dark green color) -- truly a superfood, with a deep, rich flavor!
Plus, it's delicious.
When blended, the hemp seeds, cacao, and chia won't become entirely smooth. This is actually one reason I love this: it's a drink you can chew. I often find - with liquids in general - that it's easy to down the whole thing quickly. A smoothie like this requires a little more time and attention, and means we get to savor longer, and more easily tap into the "I'm done" signals. Enjoy those little bits at the bottom: they are packed with nutrients and anti-oxidants that can really support a thriving body for the day.
If you're not used to having flax, or your digestion tends to be a little on the faster side, reduce the amount of flax by half until you've tried the smoothie once or twice and can gauge how these little ground up seeds affect you. They are incredibly high-fiber and can cause a little exuberant digestion party to take place if you're not used to having them often. Fear not: they are doing good work!
Grab your reusable mug or thermos, blend a little, and get started with your day in super green, super fueling way. Cheers!
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 1/2 tbsp flax meal
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds, hulled
- 1 tsp cacao nibs
- 1 1/2 tsp spirulina or Greens Superfood power
- 2/3 cup almond milk
- 1/3 cup water
- sprinkle of cinnamon
- Combine ingredients in blender until smooth.