Kelp noodles are seriously awesome. Here's why:
i) they're raw.
ii) they require very little prep time
iii) they're low in calories and high in nutrients
iv) like tofu, they take on the flavour of whatever you pair them with
v) they keep for days, prepared or plain
If you're trying to incorporate more raw foods into your life - or you're looking for a gluten-free pasta alternative - they're a great way to go. Kelp is a sea plant that's high in iron, calcium, and iodine (all important to balance when you're following a plant-based lifestyle.
Try this super easy recipe for an energizing lunch or dinner option - it keeps well in the fridge, so you could also prepare a large batch and use over a couple of days.
- 1 cup of kelp noodles, drained, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 1/2 tsp brown rice miso
- 1 tsp tamari
- 1 tsp tahini
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- a sprinkle of curry powder
- a sprinkle of cayenne pepper
- 1-2 cups of chopped veggies (carrots, celery, mushrooms, kale, etc. – whatever you like!)
- 1. Mix everything except kelp noodles and veggies in a small bowl.
- 2. Pour over noodles. Mix to combine.
- 3. Serve cold. That’s it. Really. SO easy!
- Enjoy with any chopped veggies you like! I have made this with raw carrots and celery (yum!); pictured is with kale, mushrooms, and zucchini sauteed in coconut oil. Warm veggies + cold noodles? Delish.