It has been a balmy 80-something degrees here all day today [high-20s, fine Canadians -- don't worry, I'm still learning, too]. This means it's finally time to help the body break down some of that stored-up gook from winter!
Green veggies (especially celery and cucumber) are particularly effective for cleansing the body from the inside, as they promote a more alkaline pH. Less acid and less stored-up goop in the digestive tract mean happier GI-functioning, more energy, and more effective assimilation of nutrients. Thinking ahead to all of the awesome outdoor plans we have for summer, doesn't it feel good to know we can support our energy (and limit tummy-bloat) with some good old-fashioned raw greens?
This incredibly easy slaw is light, refreshing, and the perfect complement to a protein-packed dinner. We paired this with the vegan burgadillas [a little heavier of an entree with a little lighter of a side]. Try it with something off the grill - or just on its own with some chickpeas thrown in.
The dressing would also be a great addition to a wrap -- or anywhere else you might consider adding a little coat of goodness.
Raw. Vegan. Deliciousness.
Happy [almost] summer!
- 3 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 small English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 3 kale leaves, destemmed and shredded
- 2 cups arugula
- 1 1/2 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1. Combine veggies in mixing bowl.
- 2. In a smaller bowl, combine tahini, lemon juice, vinegar, and salt. Mix thoroughly until smooth; add a little more lemon juice to water it down if needed.
- 3. Pour dressing over veggies; toss to coat.