Just a quick little post tonight to share the easiest and yummiest recipe from fabulous Kim over at the Skinny Bitch. It takes about twenty minutes, requires very few ingredients, and turned out remarkably like the take-out version we order from the best Indian restaurant in our neighbourhood. Perfect post-gym dinner (and definitely something the Presidents would approve of! Happy Presidents Day!)
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tsbp safflower or grapeseed oil
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 2 lbs spinach
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- 2 tsbp cumin
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 block firm tofu, cubed
- *optional: 1/2 cup of shredded carrots or zucchini [we had extra carrots in the fridge, so I threw some in for colour: yum!]
- 1. Sautee onion with oil in large skillet until translucent (about 6 minutes).
- 2. Add broth and spinach; cook until spinach starts to wilt.
- 3. Add coconut milk and spices; simmer 7 minutes. (If you’re using the carrots or zucchini, add them now.)
- 4. Transfer to food processor and blend until smooth.
- 5. Return blended mixture to stove, this time to a large soup pot or sauce pan. Add tofu.
- 6. Simmer uncovered for 8 additional minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Skinny Bitch Cookbook recommends serving with brown rice (which would be great!). We had ours with plain baked winter squash [baked 25 minutes at 375F, until tender in the centre and still a little tough around the edges for a little extra bite]. Really nice combination of colours and flavours!